2 Lemons; grated zest only
6 lg Eggs; separated
2/3 c Sugar
2 ts Vanilla extract
2 lb Whole-milk ricotta
Flour for pan
Fresh fruit; garnish
1. Heat oven to 325'F. Blanch lemon zest in boiling water briefly and
plunge into cold water; drain well. Beat egg yolks, sugar and vanilla
extract in bowl of electric mixer at high speed until thick and
lemon-colored, about 3 minutes.
2. Cream ricotta cheese in food processor fitted with metal blade
until smooth. Gradually incorporate ricotta and lemon zest into egg
yolk mixture, beating on low speed. Beat until smooth.
3. Beat egg whites in bowl of an electric mixer at top speed until
stiff but not dry. By hand, whisk 1/3 of egg whites into cheese
mixture and combine thoroughly. Gently fold in remaining egg whites
with rubber spatula. Do not overmix, but be sure that mixture is well
blended and no streaks of white remain.
4. Pour batter into buttered and floured 9-inch springform pan. Place
pan in center of oven; bake until cheesecake is a deep golden brown,
pulls away from sides of pan, and a toothpick inserted in center
comes out clean, about 1 hour and 30 minutes. Transfer to a rack to
5. Once cooled, cover cheesecake with plastic wrap; refrigerate. (The
cake can be made 1 day in advance.) To serve, release sides of
springform pan, leaving cheesecake on pan base. Sprinkle top with
confectioners' sugar and garnish with fresh fruit.